To me, the Fellsman and Scottish Islands Peaks race epitomise the best of this month. The Fellsman - a glorious day long romp across a great swathe of Yorshire's finest and then the SIPR - a weeks worth of runing, sailing and adventure packed into about 40-48 hours.
After a break of 7 years I will be returning to the delights of the SIPR again this weekend and am full of anticipation.
- eagles on Mull
- dolphins and Otters
- rowing against the 5knot tidal current to avoid being pulled back into Correyveckan
- waking up to the sound of the hull buzzing as our boat skimmed across the water in the early dawn at 20 knots
- descending the first of the Paps of Jura in the night and watching the sparks fly as we crashed down the scree
- rowing from 2nd place into the lead
- beach start with a 28ft trimaran off Aran.
These are the kind of memories that the SIPR can give.
I have a little trepidation too - Alex, my running partner is much younger and, although Fellsman was 2 weeks ago, I wonder whether I have fully recovered.
Still, get started and deal with what arises is the way so........i'll try to update on Sunday, assuming we are not still on the water!!!